Monday, June 4, 2012 | By: Susan

You Only Turn 60 Once!

May 26, 2012 - Item#45 - 2 down, 58 to go...
I held my Birthday Brunch on Saturday, May 26th.
Thanks to Linda who made these javelina cookies! hmmm...
Melinda, Walter and Mona (the dog) arrived late morning, Friday .  They brought one of my birthday gifts strapped to the bed of the pick-up; a shipping crate converted into a garden shed!  Quickly, Walter moved the big box into place and we left it alone until Monday.

Unfortunately, a weather front was moving in and on Saturday it was a high of 65 and lots of WINDS!  As a result, we scrambled to move the event from under the outdoor dining area (old carport) to the new garage. 

Food set-up and an eating area was a challenge because I lost one table, my granite art table that could not be moved into the garage.  The winds blew over the flower arrangements, spilled water, broke glasses and the table cloths were difficult to keep down.  However after some creative ideas we managed to keep everything in it's place!  With no doors or windows the winds still whipped through the garage and a few guests were a bit chilly!
 

Lots of friends from the valley came up to celebrate with me…
Melinda, Walter and Mona – who stayed with me
Ellen & Connie     - who stayed with me
Mike & Laurie and sons
Annelies & Jon      - who stayed with Laurie & Mike
Mark & Modesta    - who stayed with Laurie & Mike
Roland & Lisa       - who traveled back that day
Cindy & Mike       - who traveled back that day
Linda & Dan                   - my neighbors with friends form Colorado
Missing were Phil & Lisa, Darlene & Milt, Sandra & Lou and Wendy & Tom





After the great food and mimosas we hiked Granite Mt.  Most went the entire loop of 3.25 miles.  It was a beautiful hike including seeing the Mt Boomer lizard and a field of thistles.


Thanks to Ellen who found the name of our lizard - Mt. Boomer
I was like in the Wizard of Oz, but instead of poppies it was thistles!
Back at the house those who stayed behind cleaned up after the brunch – you know who you are! A very special THANKS to you!!! I think that was the best birthday gift of all J

I judged the hat contest:
          Most original         - Connie
          Best Team             - Melinda & Walter
          Best All around     - Ellen

The Hat Contestants - so Mona where is your hat?!?

Then we had a little Memorial day trivia in honor of the holiday.  Yes we are smarter than a 5th grader!

Finally it was cards and gifts for the birthday girl.  Thanks to all for my birthday wishes gifts and plants!  You are the best!

Click to play this Smilebox thank you
Create your own thank you - Powered by Smilebox
This thank you made with Smilebox

Then on Monday Walter finished off my birthday gift - the garden shed.  They bought some paving stones to set it on and moved it into a less obvious spot.  Walter added a roof, painted it and I love it!  Thank you Melinda and Walter!



Now I just need to get the land cleared and my fruit trees in!!!

3 comments:

tolleyb said...

Looks (sounds) like it was a great party and that everyone had a good time. Love the hat idea. :) Glad to see you've made progress on your list. Granted your year has only just started but progress is good.

tolleyb said...

The thistle field was cool too. Bet you had to walk carefully though...as I recall they have thorns (or something like them).

Susan said...

Bobbie - there was a nice wide path through the thistle field - thank goodness! :)

Post a Comment