Sunday, August 19, 2012 | By: Susan

Bisbee, Arizona - Art District

August 2012 - Item#54
Since I cut my Ramsey Canyon trip short, I went over to Bisbee for the day instead of staying overnight and boy am I glad!  The streets were virtually empty!


Bisbee, is very much a hillside town (mining) and has many charming and colorful buildings.  Many are galleries and restaurants; perfect for tourism.   According to one of the shop owners,  two weeks in August are always very slow and I happened to be there during that time.  Boy, my southern AZ trip was not panning out as I had expected!





Copper City Inn - where I had planned to stay...



I visited several galleries and art supply stores.  It was in Bliss-Bee that I got a nice history of the art community.  Unlike many art communities, Bisbee has a high turn over of artists or "unreliable" artists, making it difficult for galleries  to keep stocked.  It must be the remote location or artists seeking a short term retreat...





Bisbee is over 5hrs driving from Prescott, but I might go back again during a week with a special event.  I might pair it with a tour of the surrounding wineries....

1 comments:

tolleyb said...

The wineries are a good addition since everything is better with wine. :)

Post a Comment